Friday, October 16, 2009

Sticky, Slightly Sweet

Well, I decided to go really simple on this one.

My poolish started at 8 p.m. last night and was left on the counter for 12 hours (wasn't sure about that...) I'd love to have the patience for the other fermentation method. But to keep something on the counter for days...with possible showings...I just don't think that would go over well with clients (call me crazy!)

In the actually recipe, I used lemon extract which was indistinguishable in the final product. I loved all the spices because each one reminds me of fall! And I also liked the fact that there was a minimal amount of "sugar" added to the actual dough.

Additionally, once the poolish was fermented, the whole formula was accomplished fairly quickly. I started just after 8:30 a.m. and was done with the oven by 12:45 p.m. It's possible that one reason it went fast was that I used my KitchenAid mixer this time (pretty handy while working on Reading with my oldest.) The motor did get a bit hot, as I expected, and I'll have to keep a closer eye on it next time.

The final product turned out fine...and was HUGE! I should have put up a ruler, but it was at least 12 inches in diameter. Let me know how large yours is so that I know it this is normal!

I would not, next time, do the glaze. (Incidentally, I made it with orange extract because I ran out of the lemon used in the dough itself.) It makes the outside too sticky, too sweet and for some crazy reason, my sesame seeds tasted terrible. These "side-effects" took away from an otherwise delicious loaf!

view from the top
side view - they split a bit
glimpse inside - I was surprised at the density "look" but the light touch and taste. (I really have no idea what I'm talking about...it's just my impressions!)
~rw~

3 comments:

  1. excellent! That's quite the loaf!! Kinda looks like that balloon that family had in Colorado which floated away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to try to start mine on Monday morning.

    ReplyDelete